A house has been located
on this site along the Penn ridge since the early 1800's.
As documented by the Buckinghamshire
Advertiser in 1972, eight people who lived in Penn had the idea of
purchasing the property in order to open a residential home. They
acquired Alde House for the purpose of providing a comfortable home
for people connected with the village in order that they could be
well cared for and live near their families.
The then nine bedroom house
on the Penn Road was acquired, before they even knew if a loan from
Amersham Rural Council was available. Fortunately the finance materialised
and the project was able to proceed. In later years a new wing has
been added, together with a lift, modern furniture and fittings.
Two-and-a-half acres of
ground surround Alde House, which commands a fine view across the
Thames Valley to Windsor Castle and beyond.